This playlist was composed by myself and two of my best friends, who all have extremely similar tastes in music (we tend more towards alternative and indie music). The music varies slightly in vocal and rhythmic styles, moods, messages, and tempos and not all of it is extremely recent (some of it comes from the ‘90’s), but it is all quite similar. These songs form an audiotopia for me, one that is reminiscent of driving during a late summer night, and reminiscent of good friends and good times.
- “Heavy Metal Drummer.” Wilco, Yankee Hotel Foxtrot. Nonesuch Records, LP5161, 2002. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oOLwKmw0cFY (4/4/10).
This song by Wilco has a slow, mellow mood and tempo, represented by the freely tapping snare drum and light acoustic guitar interspersed with high piano notes. The lyrics and melody hold an air of nostalgia, of a love lost to someone else and the memories it contained (“I miss the innocence I’ve known, playing KISS covers beautiful and stoned”). Wilco is a band formed in Chicago in 1994 who has released a vast number of albums. They are influenced by artists such as Bill Fay and Television, and have in turn influence many artists over the period of their existence.
- “Colossal.” Wolfmother, Wolfmother. Modular, MODCD036, 2005. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KUKvfKzHYTg (4/4/10).
This song is set up interestingly based on the comparison between its lyrics and its instrumental background. The instrumental aspect can be defined as “rock and roll” upon first listen, due to the thrashing electric guitar, harsh vocals, and crashing of the drums, yet the tempo of the song is slow at best, eventually speeding up at the end. The tempo of the song correlates with the journey of the narrator; at first he is confused by the “colossal land” and “magical day” he is faced with, and once he encounters the “colossal girl” and begins to pursue her and wonder about her, the song speeds up as if he is in a chase. Wolfmother is a newer group from Australia who define themselves in the alternative/ “stoner” rock category, and despite not having gained significant fame here in the US, are still an innovative new band on the horizon.
- “Wolf Like Me.” TV on the Radio, Return to Cookie Mountain. 4AD and Interscope Records, CADCD260, 2006. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YfJOm_NzuXE&feature=related (4/4/10).
“Wolf Like Me” has a very clear, evident beat maintained by the drumming clearly heard in the background of the song, with the low, rumbling rhythm of the electric guitar and the low, gruff vocals centering around this beat. It starts out as quite fast-medium tempo; a song one can keep time to and be encouraged to dance to. It slows down for awhile, and it seems like someone has replicated the beginning of the song, yet slowed it down extremely. The song soon resumes its fast pace. The lyrics are rather nonsensical, but their alliteration and rhyming contributes to the rhythm of that song (i.e. “gotta bust that box gotta gut that fish”). Although the band Wolf Like Me is centered in the United Kingdom, this song was their most popular single in the United States and became multipurpose (it was even used in a Nike ad and for an Xbox game).
- “Sweet Disposition.” Temper Trap, Conditions. Liberation, LMCD0056, 2009. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rxQ6HR9UbA0 (4/4/10).
This song has a very light, free mood, based on the high pitched, floaty vocals and the light acoustic guitar in the background. The lyrics tell the story of endless love, and someone with the hope of winning someone lost back in the end. Despite the situation of loss seeming sad upon first perception, the sonic elements of the song offer a sense of anticipation and expectation. Temper Trap is a band from Australia who is not really famous or heard of here in the United States, but this particular song was made famous by the movie “(500) Days of Summer”, in which it was featured.
- “I Hear Noises.” Tegan & Sara, If It Was You. Vapor and Sanctuary, 89400, 2002. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ii2c85rWMjc (4/4/10).
Tegan and Sara began as a group in Calgary in 1998, and have had many appearances in Sarah McLachlan’s Lilith Fair (as well as a tour with Neil Young and the Pretenders, among other such ventures in the rock world). The lyrics of “I Hear Noises” tell the story of someone who is unhappily stuck in a relationship, and their entrapment is due to not wanting the person to be alone and other conditions of the relationship. The electric guitar, vocals, and keyboard (as sonic elements) provide a catchy tune, but definitely not one that is happy and upbeat – it is more or less indescribably powerful.
6. “What I Got.” Sublime, Sublime. MCA Records, 11413,1996. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KHrWEzPT4H8 (4/4/10).
Sublime started out in 1988 as a garage band, and rose to fame in the ‘90s in California. Their song, “What I Got”, is extremely happy-go-lucky based on the lyrics and the melody. The acoustic guitar and shuffling of the drum sets a nice backbeat to the happy lyrics that indicate a contented state (regardless of what life dishes out). “I don’t cry, when my dog runs away, I don’t get angry at the bills I have to pay…Lovin’s what I got, I said remember that.” Most claim that this song alludes to a drug culture of sorts, and that marijuana or some other drug would lead to the contented state described in this song.
7. “Last Nite.” The Strokes, Is This It. RCA, 73177, 2006. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EXaHy814cEA (4/4/10).
The Strokes formed in 1998 in New York, New York and released their debut album “Is This It” in 2001. “Last Nite” contains a harsh electric guitar, gruff vocals, and strong, powerful drumming. The mood could be described as brash, aggressive, and angry, and the song has a very retro, old-ish feel to it. The lyrics are a bit depressing, as they talk about the narrator and a girl “feeling so down” and noone knowing why or being able to understand. The lyrics carry quite an angsty vibe.
- “Your Ex-Lover is Dead.” Stars, Set Yourself on Fire. Arts & Crafts, 000009, 2005. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xUwRvukyxDo (4/4/10).
Stars was formed in 2001 in Toronto, Ontario, Canada and released their debut album in the same year. “Your Ex-Lover is Dead” contains keyboard, violin (as well as an orchestra), and harmonica, providing a sort of folky, sophisticated, theatrical feel. As a listener, one feels as if they are being freely carried by the melody of the song. The lyrics of the song deal with handling a relationship post break up after it is clear that both parties have moved on, and how awkward interaction can be. It is quite easily relatable for anyone that has previously been in a relationship and has to deal with his or her ex-partner in any way.
- “I’m a Lady.” Santigold, Santogold. Downtown Records, 70034, 2008. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PpL8odTN2_c (4/4/10)
Santi White, the frontwoman of Santigold, formed this group in New York as a solo project (the rest of the members of the group change frequently). White’s husky voice, the low buzz of the electric guitar, and the steady beat of the drum give the song a powerful, energetic, resonant mood. The lyrics of the song are meant to assert White’s belief that she is a strong-willed, independent young woman, yet she knows that because she is attractive, she will never be seen as anything more than a woman. “And I like sometimes to wave it high, up where everyone can see, I’m a lady…”
- “Blueside.” Rooney, Rooney. Polydor, INTW32031, 2003. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=55NGR8BOKqo (4/4/10).
Rooney was founded in 2002 in Los Angeles, California. They are a band that has enjoyed much promotion and exposure of their music, including being featured on the show The O.C. The song “Blueside”, for some people, has lyrical allusions to suicide; for example, “And it’s so hard for me to explain, what I will miss to myself.” The wailing of the electric guitar and the soft backbeat of the drums indicates a depressing tone, and indicates the song may have a sad message.
- “Heimdalsgate Like a Promethean Curse.” Of Montreal, Hissing Fauna, Are You the Destroyer?. Polyvinyl, 124, 2007. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yp_K6yyfxuA&feature=fvst (4/4/10).
Of Montreal was formed in Athens, Georgia in the ‘90s. Its formation was inspired after its frontman, Kevin Barnes, broke off a romance with a woman from Montreal. “Heimdalsgate Like a Promethean Curse” has an electronic vibe inspired by the keyboard in place, as well as the unique sounds created by the electric guitar. The song feels eclectic and crazy, like an acid trip of sorts. This mood is appropriate, seeing as the lyrics describe a person’s relationship with drugs. “Chemicals don’t make me sick again, I’m always so dubious of your intent, like I can’t afford to replace what you’ve spent.” His mood imbalances as a result of this drug are described in great detail.
- “We Are Golden.” Mika, The Boy Who Knew Too Much. Universal Distribution, 252712588, 2009. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CdrMJn4jtPM (4/4/10).
Mika debuted as an artist with his single “Relax, Take it Easy” in fall of 2006. The album “The Boy Who Knew Too Much”, which contains “We Are Golden”, was released in 2009. The keyboard, drums, and assorted other instruments (including what appears to be maracas) on the track provide a light-hearted, whimsical mood to the song. The lyrics speak of coming of age and discovering yourself as a young person; for example, “teenage dreams in a teenage circus, running around like a clown on purpose, who gives a damn about the family you come from, no giving up when you’re young and you want some.” Listening to this song puts the listener in an upbeat and positive mood.
- “Strange Apparition.” Beck, The Information. Interscope Records, 757600, 2006. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T4I0_p13K_Y (4/4/10)
Beck began his solo career in 1994 with the debut of his first album, “Mellow Gold”. “Strange Apparition”, like most of Beck’s music, has an eclectic instrumental sound as a result of the electric guitar and the drum in the background. The lyrics discuss Beck’s religious affiliations, and his conflicts as a result. It discusses a “strange apparition” and references the Lord quite often. It’s quite a pensive song, and makes one feel introspective in terms of religious opinions.
- “Let Go.” Frou Frou, Details. MCA Records, 586996, June 4, 2002. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_97UoGngJBQ (4/4/10).
Frou Frou is a collaboration between Imogen Heap and Guy Sigsworth that began in 2002. The lyrics of the song “Let Go” indicate the “magic” and intricate elements of the human breakdown, and describe it in a way that makes it seem beautiful. This song was written to be adapted to a scene in the movie “Garden State”, and describes the situation in the scene perfectly. The percussion mixed with slow violin playing provides an elegant, sophisticated air to the song.
- “Heads Will Roll.” Yeah Yeah Yeahs, It’s Blitz!. Polydor, 2702576, 2009, http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Trcv0g-3YGc (4/4/10).
The Yeah Yeah Yeahs were formed in 2000 in New York, NY. “Heads Will Roll”, which debuted on their 2009 album “It’s Blitz!”, is more of a dance-y, energetic song. The lyrics reference “danc[ing] ‘til your dead” quite often, and the background music is more electronic and sounds more techno than rock. It sounds more or less like a song you would hear while getting excited for a night out on the town, one that would get you pumped up and energized for life.



.jpg)











I am citing this playlist for #1. Some tracks that I would incorporate into my own player would be Colossal, What I Got, Last Nite, Strange Apparition, and We Are Golden.
ReplyDeleteI am citing this playlist for part 1. I liked pretty much all of the songs on the list, so it was an obvious choice for this part of the task. Since this is a driving playlist, and I love to sing in the car, I would add pretty much anything by Gossip since I always sing along whenever I play something by them.
ReplyDeleteI am citing this playlist for #1. I definitely can relate to the type of music that you have on this playlist. This also represents the type of music with which I can identify myself. I think that you did a really nice job of showing the evolution of alternative rock and how it has transformed through both time and place. If I were to add any songs I would probably chose songs by Spoon or Modest Mouse, but overall I think that you had a nice collection of songs for this playlist.
ReplyDeleteI am citing this playlist for #1. Some other tracks I would include are "1901" by Phoenix, "Sing Me Spanish Techno" by The New Pornographers, and "For The Price of a Cup of Tea" by Belle & Sebastian.
ReplyDeleteI’m citing your playlist for question #1. I definitely tend towards alternative/indie music too and the majority of these artists are on my iPod. For one of my playlists, I also included Santigold and Tegan and Sara. I second Joanna’s suggestions for The New Pornographers and Belle & Sebastian. Maybe some Los Campesinos! or Tapes ‘n Tapes.
ReplyDelete